Data Engineer Mid-Level (Hybrid)
Posted on: August 7, 2022
Purpose of JobWe are seeking dedicated Data Engineers. USAA's
Enterprise Data and Analytics Office (EDAO) is at the center of
driving innovation and industry leadership across Data Management,
Advanced Analytics, and Data Governance. Through a highly
collaborative work environment, our teams are able to meet business
demands for both internal and external clients. Our structure
consists of a spoke and hub model, in which our team serves as the
hub for our organization. This model provides a fast-paced work
environment, high executive visibility as well as supportive career
Our Data Engineers deliver quality reporting and data intelligence
solutions to the organization and assist client teams with drawing
insights to make advised, data driven decisions. Data Engineers are
engaged in all phases of the data management lifecycle; gather and
analyze requirements, collect, process, store and secure, use,
share and communicate, archive, reuse and repurpose data.Job
RequirementsAbout USAAUSAA knows what it means to serve. We
facilitate the financial security of millions of U.S. military
members and their families. This singular mission requires a
dedication to innovative thinking at every level.About USAA ITOur
most meaningful qualification isn't technical, it's human. Here, we
don't just sit in front of a screen. We stand behind our 13 million
members who rely on us every day.We're proud of USAA's strong
history -- and we're even more passionate about our future. That's
why we have a team of supportive and collaborative hardworking
technology professionals focused on doing more for our members. And
why we're continuing to add innovative problem solvers to our team.
With us, you'll find exciting challenges that inspire you to
continue learning and growing.USAA values a work culture that is
highly collaborative, and we have found that a hybrid work type
helps employees gain the best of both worlds - collaborating
in-person in the office and working from home when needed to
achieve focused deliverables. The actual days onsite are settled
between each employee and the employee's manager. We have multiple
positions available. Candidates are expected to live a commutable
distance from of one of our offices in San Antonio, TX, Plano, TX,
and Phoenix, AZ.Primary Responsibilities:
- Identifies and manages existing and emerging risks that stem
from business activities and the job role.
- Ensures risks associated with business activities are
effectively identified, measured, monitored, and controlled.
- Follows written risk and compliance policies and procedures for
- Independently conducts work on the full life cycle of data
engineering to include analysis, solution design, data pipeline
engineering, testing, deployment, scheduling, and production
- Design and implement complex technical solutions.
- Design, build, handle and optimize data pipelines for data
structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas,
metadata, data quality, and workload management.
- Identifies and solves significant technical problems and
architecture deficiencies to include design, security, and
- Collaborates on design reviews by providing feedback on trends
and makes recommendations for solutions.
- Breaks down business features and into technical stories and
approaches. Influences team members in technical adoption for the
- Creates proof of concepts and prototypes that drive the vision
and the outcome for sophisticated initiatives to be delivered.
- Collaborates with the team and other engineers on new
technologies and alternatives to plan and implement complex
assignments and tasks.
- Helps on-board mid level engineers. May begin mentoring junior
- Acquires data from multiple data sources and maintains
resulting databases, data warehouses, and/or data lakes.
- Assists to develop, maintain, and implement the company's data
development tools and standards. Conducts code reviews on a
periodic basis to improve quality and ensure compliance.Minimum
- Bachelor's degree; OR 4 years of related experience (in
addition to the minimum years of experience required) may be
substituted in lieu of degree; OR Approved certification from
CodeUp, Galvenize, VetFIT (Veterans for IT) or eFIT (Employees for
- 4 years of data engineering, data analysis or software
development experience implementing data solutions with at least 1
year of data engineering or data management experience.
- Extensive knowledge and working experience in SQL and
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- 4+ years' experience developing, deploying and supporting
high-quality, fault-tolerant data pipelines (leveraging
distributed, data movement technologies and approaches, including
but not limited to ETL and streaming ingestion and processing)
- 2 or more years' experience utilizing Linux scripting (Python,
- 3 or more years' experience in SQL development and/or NoSQL
- 1 or more years' experience with cloud-based data offerings
(Amazon AWS, Redshift, Snowflake, Google GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Experience with ETL Tools (Informatica, DataStage, Data Build
- 1 or more years of experience working with Agile Development
MethodologiesThe above description reflects the details considered
necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should
not be construed as a detailed description of all the work
requirements that may be performed in the job.Compensation:USAA has
an effective process for assessing market data and establishing
ranges to ensure we remain competitive. You are paid within the
salary range based on your experience and market position. The
salary range for this position is: $88,200 - $158,900Employees may
be eligible for pay incentives based on overall corporate and
individual performance or at the discretion of the USAA Board of
Directors.*Geographical Differential: Geographic pay differential
is additional pay provided to eligible employees working in
locations where market pay levels are above the national average.
-Shift premium: will be addressed on an individual-basis for
applicable roles that are consistently scheduled for non-core
hours. - -Benefits:At USAA our employees enjoy best-in-class
benefits to support their physical, financial, and emotional
wellness. - These benefits include comprehensive medical, dental
and vision plans, 401(k), pension, life insurance, parental
benefits, adoption assistance, paid time off program with paid
holidays plus 16 paid volunteer hours, and various wellness
programs. - Additionally, our career path planning and continuing
education assists employees with their professional goals.Please
click on the link below for more details.Relocation assistance is
not available for this position.
Keywords: USAA, Mesa , Data Engineer Mid-Level (Hybrid), Engineering , Mesa, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!