Medical Assistant (Red Mountain)
Posted on: June 7, 2021
The Medical Assistant (MA) is an integral member of the
multi-disciplinary health care team who function under the
supervision of the physician. The medical assistant assists
clinicians, registered nurses, and licensed practical nurses in
delivering quality care to patients according to Cigna standards,
Arizona Department of Health Services requirements, and OSHA
regulations. This position functions as a link between the
clinician and the patient by obtaining a thorough patient history,
taking vital signs, assisting with coordination of care, and
maintaining a positive and efficient patient experience during the
office visit. The MA contributes to the organization's drive to
achieve the "Triple Aim": improve the individual care experience;
improve quality and the health of Cigna Medical Group's population,
and reduce the cost of care for our population.
Clinical Responsibilities and Essential Functions
Performs routine patient care in a professional manner.
- Manages patient flow in an efficient manner to accommodate
patient needs and expectations of care.
- Greets the patient and escorts the patient to the examination
room where initial assessment and documentation occurs.
- Prepares patient to be seen by Clinician, ensuring their
comfort and privacy at all times. Takes vital signs per established
- Obtains patient history.
- Updates Medication List.
- Communicates physical symptoms verbalized by patients to the
- Continues to participate with the clinician examining and
assessing the patient including entering clinician orders.
- Remains with the patient after clinician completes his/her
visit in order to perform procedures and injections, refer for or
perform treatment procedures, reinforce the treatment plan, print
the discharge summary, schedule referrals and follow up
appointments, accompany patient to the unit clerk/discharge staff
and to diagnostic testing departments.
- Schedules and reschedules appointments as needed based upon
patient preference and convenience.
- Completes pre-authorization requests by supplying required
documentation and completing necessary follow through.
- Supports management of a complex referral process by following
established guidelines and directing patients appropriately.
- Ensures proper coding of ICD-10 and CPT-4 codes by Clinician.
Responsible for submitting charges once review is complete.
- Ensures all Clinicians orders are completed by appropriate
personnel. This includes follow up and completion of overdue tasks
in the EHR.
- Performs accurate chart preparation, including all necessary
diagnostic results, consult notes, hospital records
- Collects, labels, and deliver specimens for processing per
Clinicians orders.(Blood, Urine and Tissue) In certain locations,
will be required to perform phlebotomy, and/or IV Therapy.
- Secures patient consent (signature) for immunizations and
- Set up, assist, and breakdown exam rooms, for minor office
diagnostic and surgical procedures, is able to perform sterile
- Clean and Sterilize instruments per protocol if needed.
- Passes and maintains Cigna's medication administration
- Administers medications in accordance with Cigna's policies and
- Reviews with patients pre-printed instruction sheets and refers
needs for further teaching to Clinician or RN.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Consults other departments, as needed and as appropriate, to
provide for an interdisciplinary approach to patient's needs, e.g.,
referrals, prior authorization, other Clinician offices, PHM,
- Communicates results and/or provides instructions as directed
by the Clinician in person or via the phone.
Performs emergency response
- Recognizes emergency situation, seeks assistance and intervenes
- Monitors patient during and following interventions observing
responses and identifying complications.
- Assists the team with appropriate disposition of the
Performs general office duties
- Ensures that filing, phone calls, and record keeping are
complete and properly identified with patient information.
- Maintains complete accurate documentation in the E H R.
- Documents all encounters following policy and protocol.
- Notifies appropriate personnel regarding clinician schedule
- Maintains inventory of medical & office supplies and
medications for area in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Ensures safe storage of all supplies in the area.
- Explain the patient portal to patients, encourage and assist
them in registering.
- Updates skills through nursing workshops and continuing
- Attends and engages in department Staff Meetings and In-service
- Cross trains to new procedures, team based roles and
departments as needed.
- Work in other departments and/or travel to other centers as
requested by management.
- Assists in orienting new employees and temporary pool staff to
- Interacts, collaborates, and communicates professionally with
- NOTE: The above is intended to describe the general content of
and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an
exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities
will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate
Graduate of approved MA program or graduate of an unapproved
program with successful completion of certification examination;
graduate of a US Armed Forces medical services program or
practicing medical assistant who completed supervision requirements
prior to February 2, 2000 ("grandfather clause"). High school
diploma or GED certificate Good communications skills Prefer one
year experience in back office, patient scheduling application
experience desirable. Basic computer skills. Current BCLS
Cigna Corporation exists to improve lives. We are a global
health service company dedicated to improving the health,
well-being and peace of mind of those we serve. Together, with
colleagues around the world, we aspire to transform health
services, making them more affordable and accessible to millions.
Through our unmatched expertise, bold action, fresh ideas and an
unwavering commitment to patient-centered care, we are a force of
health services innovation. When you work with us, or one of our
subsidiaries, you'll enjoy meaningful career experiences that
enrich people's lives. What difference will you make?
Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race,
color, age, disability, sex, childbirth (including pregnancy) or
related medical conditions including but not limited to lactation,
sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or
military status, religion, national origin, ancestry, marital or
familial status, genetic information, status with regard to public
assistance, citizenship status or any other characteristic
protected by applicable equal employment opportunity laws.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing the online
application process, please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com for
support. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your
application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a
Keywords: Cigna, Mesa , Medical Assistant (Red Mountain), Other , Mesa, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!