Grocery/Freight Lead Clerk
Company: WinCo Foods
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Join our Winning Team today and start your ownership
WinCo Foods is a rapidly growing family of over 130 grocery
stores, complete with our own distribution centers and
transportation network. We're proud to operate across 10 states
west of the Rockies with more than 20,000 employee owners.
At WinCo Foods we act like owners - because we are! We believe,
as the Low Price Grocery Leader, that we make the lives of the
communities where we operate better by giving them the best
possible prices to feed their families and by focusing on the
success, well-being and diversity of our employee owners.
Currently, WinCo is the third largest Employee-Owned company in
the United States and is #59 on the Forbes.com list of largest
privately owned companies. Did you know that WinCo has more than
500 millionaire employee-owners in our Employee Stock Ownership
Plan (ESOP)? Once eligible, you can start your journey to ownership
with an annual gift of stock equaling 20% of what you make each
year. (ESOP available at most locations and subject to vesting,
check the locations Summary Plan Description).
WinCo Foods offers the very best benefits in the industry, with
low cost, high quality medical benefits with rates as low as $30 a
month, enrollment in our ESOP after 6 months, career advancement
opportunities, paid vacation and sick leave, competitive wages,
tuition reimbursement, employee assistance, discount program - and
even voluntary benefits like Pet Insurance!
Assist management with the operations of the store by performing
clerk duties in the designated department (grocery or freight),
leading by example, and assisting the department manager in general
department operations as directed. Answer customer questions and
complaints in a professional manner and assure all customers
receive fast, friendly service. Perform the duties of a grocery
clerk, cashier and/or freight stocker in addition to assisting
assigned employees in the performance of their tasks as
appropriate, including notifying them of their breaks and lunches.
Consistently provides friendly, courteous service to internal and
external customers. Performs other related work.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Seeks opportunities to welcome, engage, serve and thank
customers. Maintains and encourages an atmosphere of friendly,
enthusiastic customer service with an emphasis of taking care of
- Provides customer service by performing the duties of a clerk
in the designated department (grocery or freight). Refer to Grocery
Clerk, Cashier/Checker and/or Freight Stocker job descriptions for
complete list of responsibilities.
- Performs a lead role in customer service which may include
handling customer complaints and requests, approving checks,
selling gift certificates, issuing refunds, receiving returned
check payments and answering any questions the customer must
- Continuously monitors area activities, including customer
traffic flow, coverage of checkout lanes, etc.
- Maintains cleanliness and eye-appeal of work area, storage
area, equipment and retail displays according to company policy and
legal regulations; and cleans work area by mopping, sweeping,
taking out garbage, etc.
- Ensures the department/area of responsibility is kept clear of
excess carts, baskets, garbage, etc.
- Monitors arrivals, breaks, lunches and departures of employees
in area of responsibility. Communicates with immediate supervisor
- Assists immediate supervisor as needed or directed.
- Assists clerks by providing direction and leadership,
demonstrating and performing clerk responsibilities and assigned
tasks, and answering employee questions.
- May monitor cashier money handling procedures and assists with
scan system procedures (i.e. UPC codes not on file, scan pricing
- May fill department racks/shelves, displays, coolers, handle
and use cleaning materials, department machines and equipment, pull
cardboard and face the wall and aisles, perform cashiering duties,
perform other duties as needed or directed.
- Maintains a constant awareness of customer and employee
- Stocks and rotates merchandise in any area of the store as
- Performs other duties as assigned or needed.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Communicating clearly and professionally, utilizing excellent
verbal, written and inter-personal communication skills,
establishing and maintaining a good rapport with co-workers,
supervisors, vendors, customers and others.
- Providing leadership, exhibiting interpersonal skills by
maintaining composure and professionally addressing difficult and
sometimes angry individuals including customers, vendors and
- Applying clear understanding of overall company practices,
including in-depth knowledge of polices/procedures, in order to
effectively judge and react to customer activity.
- Demonstrating initiative and self-direction to perform a
variety of simultaneous skills (multi-tasking).
- Conducting visual inspections, reading reports, computer
printouts, register and computer screens, etc.
- Perform basic math (add, subtract, multiply and divide) and
compute weights and measures.
- Perform primary duties efficiently and accurately with honesty
- Consistently provide friendly, courteous service to internal
and external customers.
- Work any scheduled work shifts including evenings, graveyard,
overnight, weekends and holidays as scheduled or required.
- Perform all duties described in the appropriate department
specific job description (grocery clerk, cashier and/or freight
- Understand overall company practices through previous
experience in designated department (grocery or freight) or
- Properly use cleaning chemicals in accordance with
manufacture's guidelines and instructions.
- Properly handle food products per State and County laws, and
- Reach, lift and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and
weights up to 50 lbs. frequently.
- Stand for long periods of time, walk and move rapidly, bend,
stoop, twist and turn frequently.
- Perform duties with mental alertness involving potential
hazards with respect to related procedures, machines, equipment and
- Understand state & federal regulations if certification is
- Perform primary duties efficiently and accurately.
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Food Handlers Certification (Per State Laws)
Machines and Equipment Operated:
- Refer to appropriate department specific job description
(grocery clerk, cashier and/or freight stocker) for complete
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature
of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. All
employees must comply with Company policies and applicable laws.
The responsibilities, duties and qualifications required of
personnel may vary.
As WinCo Foods continues to grow, our diversity-from our variety
of perspectives and wide range of experiences-is essential to our
strategy and success. We are committed to continue to cultivate and
celebrate an inclusive environment in which all employees are
valued and respected regardless of their race, color, religion,
sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran,
or disability status.
Keywords: WinCo Foods, Mesa , Grocery/Freight Lead Clerk, Other , Mesa, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!