Sr. Principal Engineer Systems
Company: Northrop Grumman
Posted on: June 20, 2022
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities
to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around
the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and
inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many
technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first
flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on
the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a
pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun
along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity,
cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work - and we
have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our
employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Principal/Sr. Systems Engineer
Northrop Grumman solves the toughest problems in space,
aeronautics, defense and cyberspace to meet the ever evolving needs
of our customers worldwide. Our 85,000 employees are Defining
Possible every day using science, technology and engineering to
create and deliver advanced systems, products and services. We are
committed to advancing global security and human discovery in
support of our customers' missions around the world. We do so by
providing leading technology and national security solutions and
services to markets around the world. Northrop Grumman's Armament
Systems Division based in Mesa, Arizona produces automatic medium
caliber gun systems. Northrop Grumman ATK gun systems built for the
U.S. and international militaries have been used in all major
conflicts since World War II in a variety of applications to
include small and large ground vehicles, helicopters, airplanes and
This Systems Engineering position is for an individual contributor
role on medium caliber gun system programs within the Armament
Systems Division. As part of the Systems Engineering group, the
Principal Systems Engineer coordinates planning, organization,
implementation, integration and completion of assigned engineering
projects. This position is located in Mesa, Arizona.
The Principal Systems Engineering position carries the following
set of primary responsibilities:
- Accountable to the Systems Engineering Manager and Program
Managers for meeting technical performance measures, cost targets,
and schedule requirements on assigned engineering projects.
- Provides technical oversight to the assigned integrated project
team; sets engineering work direction for other engineers,
technicians, and administrative personnel and assigns tasks based
on project objectives.
- Performs planning and execution of gun system development and
testing projects, including voice of the customer techniques,
requirements development and management, gun system definition,
verification and validation, and risk management to design of gun
- Ensures pertinent design factors such as contractual,
environmental, cost, schedule, technical performance, system
integration, producibility, interchangeability, and material
requirements are considered during development and program
- Leads failure investigations and associated corrective
- Works with design, project, manufacturing and quality engineers
through the development process and ensures timely flow of
information among and between engineering team members.
- Coordinates with Aftermarket Services team to support fielded
systems and ensures cross-functional coordination to deliver
outstanding customer service.
- Supports Program Manager as a control account manager to ensure
accurate schedule and cost tracking.
- Presents work products at program reviews, proposals, or other
- Prepares and plans cost estimates and written technical
- Acts as a technical interface to external customers, and forms
working relationships with representatives of external technical
- Develops technical relationships with vendors and suppliers, in
coordination with subcontracts management and quality functions, to
facilitate technical flow-down and understanding of requirements,
testing, and process control.
- Supports manufacturing trade studies and early supplier
- Shares knowledge with other engineers.
- Supports and leads continuous improvement initiatives within
the overall engineering department.Position may be filled at a
higher level, depending on education and/or years of
Position Requirements for Principal Systems Engineer:
- BS in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering
- At least 5 years of directly related mechanical design
experience in defense or aerospace industry or 3 years of directly
related experience with a Master's degree.
- Demonstrated project management skills and techniques including
work breakdown structures, integrated master scheduling and earned
- Experience in product development projects and sustainment of
legacy programs for complex aerospace or defense systems.
- Mechanical design experience with complex gear trains, cams,
springs, clutches, machined components, welded structures, electric
motors and solenoids preferred.
- Familiarity with mechanical and electrical engineering
processes and other specialty engineering activities within the
product development process.
- Experience writing statements of work and estimating project
- Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through
understanding and management of internal processes and
- Knowledge of operations of upstream process inputs (Lead System
Integrators, Business Development, Contracts, Pricing, and Program
- Knowledge of operations of downstream process customers (both
internal and external: Modeling & Simulation, Configuration
Management, Manufacturing Engineering, Manufacturing Operations,
Assembly, Test, System Verification & Validation, Integrated
Logistics Support, and End User).
- Skilled in working with Microsoft Office applications including
Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
- Understanding of Six Sigma disciplines, design for assembly /
design for manufacturing (DFA/DFM).
- Strong oral and written communication skills with ability to
focus on multiple projects and deliver status on risk areas and
- Demonstrated strength in technical writing.
- Knowledge of requirements decomposition, FMEAs, verification
and validation, and risk analysis.
- Experience with requirements database tools such as Cameo,
DOORS, or TCSE.
- Experience in performing failure analysis and driving
implementation of robust corrective action.
- Ability to scope and generate product test plans, lead tests as
Test Engineer and generate comprehensive test reports for internal
and external customer distribution.
- Familiarity with computer aided design (CAD) software,
preferably NX, and engineering requirements and analysis tools
- Understanding of GD&T
- U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
- Position may require domestic and international travel,
- Must be able to obtain clearance from the Bureau of Alcohol,
Tobacco, and Firearms and Explosives as an Employee Possessor.
- Candidates hired into this role will also need to complete a
Gun Control Act Self Certification form.Position Requirements for
Sr. Principal Systems Engineer:
- Includes all of the above with at least 9 years of directly
related mechanical design experience in defense or aerospace
industry or 7 years of directly related experience with a Master's
degree. Salary Range: $87,600 USD - $131,400 USD
Salary Range 2: $108,600 USD - $163,000 USD
Employees may be eligible for a discretionary bonus in addition to
base pay. Annual bonuses are designed to reward individual
contributions as well as allow employees to share in company
results. Employees in Vice President or Director positions may be
eligible for Long Term Incentives. In addition, Northrop Grumman
provides a variety of benefits including health insurance coverage,
life and disability insurance, savings plan, Company paid holidays
and paid time off (PTO) for vacation and/or personal business.
The health and safety of our employees and their families is a top
priority. The company encourages employees to remain up-to-date on
their COVID-19 vaccinations. U.S. Northrop Grumman employees may be
required, in the future, to be vaccinated or have an approved
disability/medical or religious accommodation, pursuant to future
court decisions and/or government action on the currently stayed
federal contractor vaccine mandate under Executive Order 14042
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse
workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color,
religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital
status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any
other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency
statement, please visit http://www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S.
Citizenship is required for most positions.
Keywords: Northrop Grumman, Mesa , Sr. Principal Engineer Systems, Other , Mesa, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!