Second Helper 1
Posted on: November 22, 2022
it's what's inside that counts
There's more to CMC than our steel products and the buildings,
structures, and roads they go into. At CMC, it's the people inside
our recycling centers, fabrication plants, steel mills and offices
that make us who we are as a company. Our success comes from
finding, retaining, and supporting the highest quality talent by
* Competitive compensation
* Advancement opportunities
* Paid time off
* Low-cost medical, dental, vision
* Company-paid life and disability
* Company matching 401(k) plan
* Employee stock purchase plan
Why This Job
CMC provides an excellent opportunity to learn the steel industry
and grow in your career. Whether you will spend your day in an
office cubicle, operating a crane or running the melt shop at one
of our mills, at CMC, you'll get the training and support from your
team that you need to excel in your role and reach your full
What You'll Do
* Wear proper PPE at all times
* Work safely to prevent on the job injuries by following company
guidelines and procedures
* Work with liquid process personnel in the operation, monitoring,
and performance of all liquid process equipment (consteel furnace,
cranes, ladle furnace, etc)
* Communicate with fellow workers and others about possible
production issues, concerns, and needs
* Assist other team members to ensure the work area is sufficiently
stocked with enough materials on hand for upcoming heats (lime,
carbon, alloys, electrodes, gunning material, etc). When materials
are needed, the individual will help coordinate with the material
handler and crane operator to bring the materials up to the
* Fill out forklift and crane reports each shift
* Assist maintenance personnel when requested/needed, especially on
* Perform minor/routine maintenance or repairs as needed without
the assistance of maintenance personnel.
* Use the oxygen lance to open or clean the tap hole as needed.
* Close and fill the tap hole with sand.
* Assist the liquid process personnel to ensure efficient
turnaround of the furnace for the next heat.
* Replaced used thermocouples as needed.
* Replace oxygen lance pipes as needed
* Use overhead crane to exchange and add to electrode columns
* Prepare and analyze furnace slag samples
* Bring supplies up to furnace working floor using remote crane
* Prepare consumable material prior to each heat (weigh up alloys,
carbon, artificial slag, etc)
* Assist in tapping the heat out of the furnace, including adding
alloys at tap.
* Responsible for performing refractory repairs to the furnace and
* Be alert of unsafe conditions at all times and report them
* Attend and participate in safety meetings
* Perform housekeeping regularly
* Perform the duties of scrap crane operator
* Operate a hand cutting torch
* Accumulate 2 PSM's/month
* Understand all function and responsibilities of First Helper.
What You'll Need
* Basic computer skills
* Work on a rotating shift which may include nights, weekends, and
* Some overtime will be required through our "Mandatory Overtime
* Must be able to lift 50lbs
* Ability to work as a team player in a fast-paced environment,
with excellent strong work ethic, attention to detail, and
* Must be able to learn quickly and multitask
* Ability to work in extreme heat
* Vo-Tech High school or High school/GED
We are Commercial Metals Company, a Fortune 500 company with a
family feel that's already part of your life. Our steel products
have been supporting structures in more than 20 countries for over
100 years. And the secret to our success? We've built our legacy by
assembling a team of innovators and doers to tackle some of the
most challenging problems facing our world over the last 100 years
- but we're just getting started.
If you're ready to reimagine ways to make the steel industry more
sustainable, reinforce the bridges and roadways connecting our
communities, and do meaningful work, you're ready to join CMC.
Apply today and start moving your career - and our world -
CMC is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO)
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, age, physical or mental disability,
national origin, citizenship, military or veteran status, sexual
orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic
information, or other status protected by federal, state or local
Current Employee? Click here to apply.
Current Employees Apply
Click here to apply.
Nearest Major Market: Phoenix
Keywords: CMC, Mesa , Second Helper 1, Other , Mesa, Arizona
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!